FRASER® provides access to historic and current economic information and data to the public for non-commercial, educational, and personal uses subject to a few prohibitions. You are free to access and use FRASER® at no cost, subject to the full terms and conditions of the service.
- Everything you see on FRASER® belongs either to the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis or a third party. A copyright notice on FRASER® materials indicates other parties may have ownership rights, and you must contact the owner of such materials to obtain permission for any use other than your own personal use.
- You must include proper attribution with the use of any FRASER® Content.
- You may not imply that the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis sponsors, is affiliated with, or endorses your product or service.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis makes no warranties with respect to FRASER® Content and you agree the Bank shall not be liable to you in connection with your use of the FRASER® Content.
Introduction and Applicability
Property Rights and Licenses
FRASER® does contain some materials for which permission from copyright holders was obtained to post the material on FRASER®. The inclusion of documents on FRASER® does not necessarily mean they are free of restrictions for all users. The Bank does not own copyright for the majority of documents included on FRASER® and cannot grant or deny permission to use such content. The responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of the copyright status and ownership of an item and for securing any necessary permissions rests with the individual who wants to use the item.
FRASER® Services General License
FRASER® Software End User License
The Bank’s FRASER® Search Widget and other FRASER® Services software that may be offered from time to time, and any updates thereto (individually or collectively, the "Software") are licensed, not sold to you by the Bank for use only under the terms of this license. By using the Software, You consent to the terms of this license. If you do not consent to the terms of this license, do not use the Software. The Bank grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use the Software on any computer or device that you own or control, subject to the restrictions and requirements of this license.
You may not:
- Distribute, rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Software or make the Software available for download over a network without prior written permission from the Bank;
- Modify, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software or any portion of it; or
- Use or export the Software except as authorized by United States law. In particular, but without limitation, the Software may not be exported or re- exported (a) into any U.S. embargoed countries or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce Denied Person’s List or Entity List. By using the Software, You represent and warrant that you are not located in any such country or on any such list. You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons. Any attempt to do so is a violation of the rights of the Bank and any breach of these restrictions may subject you to prosecution and damages.
This licenses set forth above are effective until terminated by you or the Bank. The licenses will terminate automatically without notice from the Bank if you fail to comply with any term of the licenses. Upon termination of the licenses, you shall cease all use of the FRASER® Services, and destroy all copies, full or partial, of the FRASER® Content.Back to top
Prohibitions for FRASER® Services
You may not:
- Use the FRASER® Services in a manner that adversely impacts the stability, or in any other manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the FRASER® Services or Bank servers;
- Upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available any content, or use the FRASER® Services for any application, product, service, or material that the Bank deems to be harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, infringing, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, vulgar, obscene, fraudulent, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- Upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available any content, or use the FRASER® Services for any application, product, service, or material or that constitutes, promotes or is used in connection with: spyware, adware, viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, or other malicious programs or code, counterfeit goods, items subject to U.S. embargo, unsolicited mass distribution of email ("spam"), multi-level marketing proposals, "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation hacking, surveillance, interception, descrambling equipment, prostitution, body parts and bodily fluids, stolen products and items used for theft, fireworks, explosives, and hazardous materials, government IDs, police items, gambling, professional services regulated by state licensing regimes, non-transferable items such as airline tickets or event tickets, weapons and accessories;
- Harvest or collect email addresses or other contact information of other users from the FRASER® Services by electronic or other means for the purposes of sending unsolicited emails or other unsolicited communications;
- Use the FRASER® Services in any manner or for any purpose that violates any law or regulation, any right of any person, including but not limited to intellectual property rights, rights of privacy, or rights of personality;
- Solicit passwords or personally identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes;
- Use scrapers, bots, or similar technology to collect information from or otherwise interact with the FRASER® Services;
- Remove, obscure, or alter any proprietary rights notices (including copyright and trademark notices) that may be affixed to content accessed or provided through the FRASER® Services;
- Except as expressly authorized in the FRASER® Terms of Service, use the FRASER® Services for any commercial use without the prior written consent of the Bank;
- Engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the content of the FRASER® Services other than expressly permitted herein, including any use, copying, or distribution of user submissions of third parties obtained through the FRASER® Services for any commercial purposes;
- Replicate or attempt to replace the essential user experience of the FRASER® Services;
- Frame the FRASER® Services; or
- Circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the FRASER® Services or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any content or enforce limitations on use of the FRASER® Services or the content therein.
Any suspected fraudulent, abusive or illegal activity may be referred to appropriate law enforcement authorities. These remedies are in addition to any other remedies the Bank may have at law or in equity.Back to top
Property Rights for FRASER® API
As discussed above, Third-Party Content that is made available through the FRASER® API is owned by third parties and subject to copyright restrictions. Although the FRASER® API can be used to provide you with access to FRASER®, neither the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis's provision of the FRASER® API to you nor your use of the FRASER® API override the Third- Party Content owners' copyrights, requirements and restrictions. You are solely responsible for complying with any requirements or restrictions imposed on usage of the Third-Party Content by their respective owners. Before using Third-Party Content for anything other than your own personal use, you must contact the Third-Party Content owner to obtain permission. The Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis cannot give you such permission and making the Third-Party Content available through the FRASER® API does not constitute such permission.
Third-Party Content contains the word 'Copyright' in its notes.
The FRASER® API and all intellectual property rights in and to the FRASER® API is and shall at all times remain the sole and exclusive property of the Bank and are protected by applicable intellectual property laws and treaties. The Bank’s rights apply to all output and executables of the FRASER® API, excluding any software components developed by you which do not themselves incorporate the FRASER® API or any output or executables of the FRASER® API.
Changes and Upgrades
The Bank may change, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the FRASER® API at any time, including the availability of the FRASER® API. The Bank may release subsequent versions of the FRASER® API and may require you to obtain and use the most recent version.
The Bank may impose limits on certain features and services or restrict your access to parts or all of the FRASER® API or the FRASER® Services without notice or liability. You acknowledge and agree that the Bank may impose or adjust the limit on the amount of bandwidth you may use or the number of transactions you may send or receive through the FRASER® API; such fixed upper limits may be set by the Bank at any time, at the Bank’s discretion.
Prohibitions for FRASER® API
You may not:
- Use the FRASER® API for any application that replicates or attempts to replace the essential user experience of the FRASER® API, or the FRASER® Services;
- Attempt to cloak or conceal your identity or your application's identity when requesting authorization to use the FRASER® API;
- Use an unreasonable amount of bandwidth, or use the FRASER® API in a manner that adversely impacts the stability of Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis servers or adversely impacts the behavior of other applications using the FRASER® API, the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis web site or web services
- Use FRASER® API for any application, product, service, or material that constitutes, promotes or is used in connection with: spyware, adware, viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, or other malicious programs or code, counterfeit goods, items subject to U.S. embargo, unsolicited mass distribution of email ("spam"), multi-level marketing proposals, hate materials, hacking, surveillance, interception, descrambling equipment, libelous, defamatory, harassing, obscene, pornographic, abusive or otherwise offensive content, prostitution, body parts and bodily fluids, stolen products and items used for theft, fireworks, explosives, and hazardous materials, government IDs, police items, gambling, professional services regulated by state licensing regimes, non-transferable items such as airline tickets or event tickets, weapons and accessories;
- Use FRASER® API in any manner or for any purpose that violates any law or regulation, any right of any person, including but not limited to intellectual property rights, rights of privacy, or rights of personality;
- Use "FRASER®" or “Federal Reserve Bank” or any variation thereof in the hostname of your application, i.e. FRASER.mydomain.com;
- Remove, obscure, or alter any proprietary rights notices (including copyright and trademark notices) that may be affixed to data accessed or provided through the FRASER® API; or
- State or in any way imply that your application, web site or product is endorsed, recommended or favored by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
Requirements for FRASER® API
- Place the following notice prominently on your application: "This product uses the FRASER® API but is not endorsed or certified by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis."
- Comply with all export laws and restrictions and regulations of the Department of Commerce, the United States Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC"), or other United States or foreign agency or authority, and you shall not export, or allow the export or re-export of the FRASER® API in violation of any such restrictions, laws or regulations. By downloading or using the FRASER® API, you agree to the foregoing and represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any restricted country.
In order to use the FRASER® API, you must have register for an API Key. You agree that any information you give to the Bank in connection with your registration or your continued use of the FRASER® API will always be accurate, correct and up to date.
You agree that you will be solely responsible to the Bank for your use of the FRASER® API. If you become aware of any unauthorized use of your password, your account, or your API key, you agree to notify the Bank immediately.
Term and Termination
SOME OF THE FRASER® SERVICES MAY BE EXPERIMENTAL AND NOT TESTED IN ANY MANNER. THE BANK DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE FRASER® SERVICES ARE FREE OF INACCURACIES, ERRORS, BUGS, OR INTERRUPTIONS, OR ARE RELIABLE, ACCURATE, COMPLETE, OR OTHERWISE VALID.
THE FRASER® SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND “AS AVAILABLE”, WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITH NO WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF ANY KIND AND THE BANK EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AVAILABLILTIY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, ACCURACY, QUIET ENJOYMENT, SECURITY, TITLE AND/OR NON- INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.
YOUR USE OF THE FRASER® SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT RESULTS FROM THE USE OF THE FRASER® SERVICES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA.
THE BANK DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN, OR SERVICES PERFORMED OR PROVIDED BY, THE FRASER® SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, THAT THE OPERATION OF THE FRASER® SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS IN THE FRASER® SERVICES WILL BE CORRECTED. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT USE OF THE FRASER® SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND THAT THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU.
Limitation of Liability
THE BANK SHALL NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF THE FRASER® SERVICES, WHETHER BASED ON BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, PRODUCT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE) OR OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST OR CORRUPTED DATA, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS, OR OTHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, OR ANY OTHER PECUNIARY LOSS OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE FRASER® SERVICES, EVEN IF THE BANK HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGES AND WHETHER OR NOT SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGES ARE FORESEEABLE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE BANK BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY AMOUNT.
Exclusions and Limitations
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS LIABILITY AND DISCLAIMERS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Release and Waiver
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, you hereby release and waive all claims against the Bank, and its officers, agents, and employees from any and all liability for claims, damages (actual and/or consequential), costs and expenses (including litigation costs and attorneys' fees) of every kind and nature, arising from or in any way related to your use of the FRASER® Services. If you are a California resident, you waive your rights under California Civil Code § 1542, which states, "A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor." You understand that any fact relating to any matter covered by this release may be found to be other than now believed to be true and you accept and assume the risk of such possible differences in fact. In addition, you expressly waive and relinquish any and all rights and benefits which you may have under any other state or federal statute or common law principle of similar effect, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Hold Harmless and Indemnity
You agree that the Bank shall have no liability whatsoever for any use you make of the FRASER® Services. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Bank and its officers, agents, and employees from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and fees (including reasonable attorneys' fees and expenses) arising from or in any way related to your use of the FRASER® Services, including any liability or expense arising from all claims, losses, damages (actual and/or consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys' fees, of every kind and nature.Back to top
Relationship of the Parties
Invalidity of Specific Terms
Location of Lawsuit and Choice of Law
No Waiver of Rights
Digital Millennium Copyright Act
The Bank undertakes to obey all relevant copyright laws, and does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on the FRASER® Services. The Bank will review all claims of copyright infringement received and remove content deemed to have been posted or distributed in violation of any such laws.
The Bank will promptly terminate without notice any user's access to the FRASER® Services if that user is determined by the Bank to be a "repeat infringer." A repeat infringer is a user who has been notified by the Bank of infringing activity violations more than twice and/or who has had their user-submitted content removed from the FRASER® Services more than twice. The Bank may also at its sole discretion limit access to the FRASER® Services and/or terminate the accounts of any users who infringe any intellectual property rights of others, whether or not there is any repeat infringement.
- If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any user
submission or other content infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a
notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA") by
providing our Copyright Agent with the following information in writing (see 17
U.S.C 512(c)(3) for further detail):
- A physical or electronic signature of the copyright owner or the person authorized to act on its behalf;
- A description of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed; or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- A description of the infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit the Bank to locate the material;
- Your contact information, including your address, telephone number, and email;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and, under the pains and penalties of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
- If you believe that your user submission that was removed (or to which access
was disabled) is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the
copyright owner, the copyright owner's agent, or pursuant to the law, to post and
use the content in your user submission, you may send a counter-notice
containing the following information;
- Your physical or electronic signature
- Identification of the content that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the content appeared before it was removed or disabled;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the content was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the content; and
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal court in St. Louis, Missouri, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
- Claims and counter-notices can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or FRASER Desk, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166-0442. You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the above requirements of this Section, your DMCA notice or counter-notice may not be valid.